Don’t be thrown off by the vegan label on these cookies–they’re actually lazy girl cookies. There’s no egg replacer, no long list of spices, and no chilling (unless you really want to chill the cookie dough). Oh yeah, and no one will ever know they’re vegan unless you tell them. The cookie dough comes together very quickly and these cookies bake in only 15 minutes. You can make the whole batch (24 cookies) in less than an hour for sure.
With a subtle flavor of pumpkin spice, these cookies are perfect for fall. Instead of adding in a bunch of spices individually like nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon, I took a shortcut and added pumpkin pie spice instead. Less measuring and less to worry about especially if you don’t have a bunch of spices on hand.
A couple of notes on what you can do to customize these cookies to your liking:
- These cookies are bite-sized, which I like so I don’t feel too guilty eating a lot. You could bake them into larger cookies if you’d like–it’s really your preference.
- These cookies only have a subtle pumpkin spice flavor. Add more pumpkin pie spice to the cookies for a stronger flavor. I would also advise just adding more cinnamon to the cookies since the flavor will come through very strongly.
- I added one cup of vegan chocolate chips, which feels like a lot for small cookies. If you’re baking larger cookies, one cup is fine. If you feel like you want to add less, stick to 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of chocolate chips. You could also replace chocolate chips with chopped chocolate chunks instead.
- I found baking these cookies for 15 min to be the perfect amount of time. You may want to bake for longer for crisper cookies, or you may want to underbake for more cake-like cookies.
Bake a batch of these for yourselves, your friends, your coworkers, anyone! Who doesn’t appreciate a batch of homemade cookies?!
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (I measured when solid if that makes a difference)
- 1 cup brown brown sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 tablespoons pumpkin purée
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegan/non-dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, mix the coconut oil with the brown and white sugar.
- Add the vanilla extract and pumpkin purée and continue to mix. The mixture will look pretty slick and oily at this point.
- Add the salt, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, and flour and mix until just combined.
- Gently stir in chocolate chips.
- Bake rounded balls of dough on a parchment paper-lined cookie sheet at 350ºF for about 15 minutes. Cool slightly before removing from pan. Move to a cooling rack to ensure cookies cool evenly.
- Store in an airtight container.
For a stronger pumpkin spice flavor, feel free to add another teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice. My cookies came out very puffy and small because I baked small balls of cookie dough. For flatter cookies, flatten the tops of the cookies before placing in the oven. Adapted from Yammie's Noshery
Hope you all enjoy this easy recipe!