A couple weekends ago, I spotted a food truck out of the blue with the tagline “Dessert Inspired Organic Shakes” and my interest was piqued. Obviously.
The truck I happened to spot was the Blendid truck. After skimming their menu (a chalkboard menu on the side of the truck) with the four featured drinks of the day, I decided to try out the Birthday Cake milkshake. How could I say no to a Birthday Cake milkshake on a hot day?
Blended, unlike other milkshake places (or trucks), posts exactly what ingredients they use in their drinks and the calorie counts of their shakes as well. I was shocked to see that the Birthday Cake shake had organic pudding, all-natural buttercream, and even rainbow sprinkles…and they all added up to less than 300 calories.
The first thing that went through my mind was ‘how’? I’ll admit, I was DEFINITELY a little skeptical after seeing those ingredients. Was it really possible to have a delicious tasting milkshake (and ‘birthday cake’ at that) with natural ingredients add up to less than 300 calories?
My doubts were erased with that first sip. The milkshake was heavenly. It wasn’t too rich, but the flavor was definitely strong enough to satisfy a sweet tooth craving. And it tasted just like birthday cake. I was in awe of how they were able to balance taste with the quality of ingredients.
Right after that first sip, I decided that I had to try making this at home. I can’t be spending $6 on one of these milkshakes every time I want one. That’s double how much I spend at Starbucks on one drink!
So, here’s my take on the milkshake!
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon organic vanilla pudding mix
- 2 tablespoons all-natural buttercream frosting
- 1 cup vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup crushed ice
- Optional: Sprinkles
- Optinal: Vanilla protein powder
- Throw in the ricotta cheese, pudding mix, buttercream frosting, almond milk, vanilla extract, and crushed ice into your blender and blend until you reach a creamy consistency. Do a taste test and see how you like it. If you want a sweeter milkshake, add more frosting. If you want a creamier milkshake, add more ricotta cheese. Top with some rainbow sprinkles and serve immediately!