Well…discovered doesn’t really say much about how I really reacted when I first saw the photo. At first, I was in complete shock and my jaw dropped. Then, I yelled something along the lines of ‘HOLY SH!T’ out loud. And finally, I proceeded to stalking many photos of these bad boys on Instagram. There was so much excitement, it’s kind of a blur to me now.
Unless you don’t like chocolate (I know a few of you weirdos out there exist. Sorry for calling you a weirdo, I respect your tastes), you just might be crazy to say no to one of these chocolate waffle cone cups. Not only the brilliant minds at Alfred Coffee create a way to eat the cup your coffee comes in (because self-contained food and drinks are amazing), they found a way to use chocolate AND waffle cones with coffee. Basically they made consuming chocolate, coffee, and waffles at ones not only possible, but mouthwatering. Coffee, chocolate, and waffles/waffle cones are three things I absolutely love.
While I love visiting L.A. and have visited twice already this year, I can’t really fly down just to try out these waffle cups (I wish). So I had to do the next best thing and try making these for myself at home.
Surprisingly, you only need three ingredients to get a smooth chocolate-dipped cone.
- Recipe slightly adapted from People.com
- 6 Ice cream cones (cake cones)
- 8 oz. Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup Coconut Oil
- Melt the coconut oil until liquid.
- In a double boiler, melt the chocolate chips, and stir the chocolate until smooth. I recommend using a double boiler and not microwaving the chocolate chips so that you get the chocolate to be as smooth as possible.
- Add the coconut oil to the chocolate chips and stir until smooth again.
- Put a tablespoon of chocolate into a cone and swirl until the entire interior of the cone is covered in chocolate. Keep adding more chocolate as needed and continue to swirl
- If you'd like, turn the waffle cone upside-down and dip directly into the chocolate to cover the rim. Then, set upright on plates covered with wax or parchment paper.
- Continue to do with all the cones.
- Let the cones sit in the fridge or freezer until the chocolate has completely hardened. Use any leftover chocolate to make more cones or use it as a chocolate dip for fruit!
- Pour your favorite coffee into the cones and serve immediately! If you wait to drink the coffee, the chocolate will melt.