Get ready to consume shame-inducing amounts of butter. And sugar. You’ve been warned!
That’s right, these cocoa sea salt brown butter cookies just melt in your mouth. They quickly turn into buttery, sweet little cookie crumbles with a little hint of saltiness to add to the flavor.
I baked these cookies 5 times. This recipe went through multiple iterations and various taste tests. This is the recipe that stuck. These are the cookies I sent to three other AMAZING food bloggers for the Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap 2014 (I wrote about it here).
The Cookie Swap was a way to for food bloggers nationwide to send each other cookies for the holidays and raise awareness for a cause. This year, the Cookie Swap organizers partnered with Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, a national non-profit organization committed to funding new therapies used in the fight against pediatric cancer, which claims the lives of more children in the US than any other disease.
It was a fun way to connect with other food bloggers as well as raise awareness, and I’m so happy to have had the opportunity to participate.
More about the cookies, they were inspired by these babies from the Brown Butter Cookie Company in Cayucos, CA. My obsession with their cookies were sparked by my good friends who lovingly bring back cookies for me from there whenever they visit the area. That is love, friends. Friends share cookies with friends.
Now, it’s time for you to make these cookies and share with your friends. Or keep them to yourself. Just try to keep yourself from eating the cookie dough…
- 1 ¾ sticks unsalted butter
- ¾ cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ - ? cup cocoa powder
- Sea Salt (to taste)
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and stir until it browns and you smell its nutty aroma. You'll begin to see particles of dark butter at the bottom of the saucepan. Scrape those particles into the rest of the butter and continue to do so until the butter is brown. Be careful to not burn the butter.
- Pour the butter a mixing brown sugar and stir. Add the vanilla extract.
- Preheat the oven to 325 F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and cocoa powder. Then, stir to combine with the brown sugar + butter. Resist your temptation to eat the cookie dough.
- Using a round tablespoon, shape tablespoon-sized pieces into round balls (or you can level out the dough too) and space 1/2" apart on a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle some sea salt on the cookies. Either sprinkle the entire sheet with sea salt or gently press a little sea salt into the tops of each cookie.
- Bake at 325 F for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool on a wire cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container. Enjoy!
Inspired by Cocoa Brown Butter Sea Salt Cookies by Ana Lopez