You’re going to have waaayyyy too much fun making these cute little clay keychains! Stamp your favorite phrases, quotes, sayings, words, whatever you want into the clay. Pop into the oven for about thirty minutes and BOOM, you’ve got yourself a little keychain!
Did you pop culture fans notice the “keys to success” are an ode to DJ Khaled? You can add a bunch of these to your own keys, or make a few of these as gifts for your friends. The possibilities are endless!
Not only are they easy to make, but fast. Here’s what you’ll need:
- Polymer clay, such as FIMO or Sculpey. I am using Premo in Copper
- Metal Stamping Kit (Similar)
- Twine, string, ribbon, or keyring
- Optional: Clay cutters (they look like cookie cutters). I like this and this.
- Optional tools: Clay sculpting tools like a rolling pin and blade for cutting.
- First of all, decide what you would like the keychain to look like and what phrase you would like on there.
- Soften up some clay by rolling into a ball with your hands. Then use a rolling pin to evenly flatten out the clay. Keep the clay at least 1/4″ thick. [I’ll explain how to do the marble look at the end]
- Cut out the shape of the keychain. This could be freehand, or you can use a ruler and blade as a guide. You could even use clay cutters like I did to get a perfect circle. You could even use cookie cutters! Get creative with it.
- Stamp your message onto the clay. Then, use your needle to poke a hole all the way through the clay so you can hang your keychain. You could even use something thicker than a needle, like a straw, to get a larger hole.
- Carefully place the keychain onto a baking sheet and bake according to the instructions on the packaging of the clay. My instructions said to bake at 275F for 30 minutes.
- Let the keychains cool after baking, and then put them on your keyring. Or, use ribbon, string, or twine to string the keychain.
How to get the marble look:
Use 2 parts white clay to 1 part black clay. Roll out the clay into little snakes of equal size. Then put the snakes together in a bunch and twist. Roll the bunch into a ball. Then flatten. If you want the clay to be further marbled, repeat the same steps.
That’s all it takes! The hardest part, in my opinion, is thinking of what phrase to put on the keychain. Have fun crafting!
Disclosure: this post contains affiliate links.