Corn is so underrated. It’s barely ever recognized in the vegetable world because kale is stealing the spotlight as a superfood and potatoes have their badass reputation of being the “unhealthy” vegetable that tastes freakin’ awesome. Corn falls somewhere in the middle of that mess. But a sale at Safeway (8 ears of corn for $2) got me thinking about how much I actually enjoy the taste of corn.
Corn is both sweet yet savory and it also holds flavor really well (my taste buds think I’m a food critic or something…). Plus, corn is fun to eat. Since I’ve been eating so much corn lately, here’s a recipe I came up with to season fresh corn. The parmesan cheese, garlic, and basil meld together to create a burst of flavor. I’m sure you’ve had this combo on pasta, but believe me, it tastes REALLY GOOD on CORN.
Parmesan + Garlic Corn on the Cob
- 2 ears of corn, on the cob
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon basil (2 leaves chopped/shredded)
- 1 tablespoon of garlic salt (THIS IS TO TASTE, and you can replace with fresh garlic)
- 1 tablespoon of black pepper (THIS IS TO TASTE)
A lot of the ingredients used (butter, garlic salt, black pepper, etc.) fall to the wayside when seasoning the corn. So it may look like the portions are really high, but they’ll balance out when you’re seasoning the corn.
1. Cook the corn! I boil my corn on high for about 15-20 minutes. You don’t have to cook it all the way though with this method, because you’ll be cooking the corn again in a later step.
2. Dry off the corn and get the rest of your ingredients ready.
3. Throw the corn into a baking dish. Your corn is probably still warm, which is good. Take the butter and spread it on the corn. If you find the butter sliding off the corn, roll the corn in the butter.
4. Add your seasonings! Sprinkle that garlic salt, black pepper, and shredded basil all over the corn. Then, add the parmesan cheese.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
And that’s it! You’ll have delicious, flavorful corn that’s a perfect summer side dish. Take it to your next barbecue and impress your family and friends.