While quinoa has been on the scene for a few years now, it can still be difficult to weave quinoa into your regular diet (unless you are a total health fanatic). Whenever I see quinoa around, it’s usually in the form of salads or used as a replacement for rice.
While those options are great ways to serve quinoa, sometimes you may feel the urge to dine on comfort food without committing to all the calories. Or, if you have dietary restrictions or have made a choice to omit certain foods from your diet, you may want to experience eating foods you once used to enjoy.
Low and behold, Quinoa & Potato Burgers. This vegan recipe actually incorporates a few spices into a quinoa and potato patty. Honestly, these patties just taste like potato patties to me! Topping the patty off with some vegetables and a sauce make it a good and healthy dinner option that everyone can enjoy.
Quinoa & Potato Burgers *Vegan*
Yields 1 serving.
- 1 Potato, small (boiled)
- 1/2 cup dry Quinoa
- 2 sprigs Cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp Garam Masala
- Chili Powder, to taste (optional)
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tbsp oil (vegetable oil or olive oil are good choices)
- Burger bun
- Optional: Yogurt or Ketchup as a sauce
1. Boil the potato and cook the quinoa until just done. Don’t overcook or else it’ll be difficult to get the patty to keep it’s shape.
2. Mash the potatoes and quinoa together. Add salt to taste. Add garam masala to taste.
3. Form a patty shape from the potatoes and quinoa.
4. On a skillet, fry the patties with some oil.
5. When the patty has browned on both sides, carefully hold the patty using two spatulas and set the side of the patty to the pan to brown the sides too.
6. Toast the buns on the pan too.
7. Set the patty on the toasted buns. Then top the patty with spinach and sprouts. You could top the burger with yogurt (not if you’re vegan though) to complement the garam masala, or you could add ketchup. I don’t think it really even needs a sauce because the patty has flavor on its own and the patty is pretty moist.
Top the patty with whatever vegetables you like! I chose spinach and sprouts because I love them but lettuce is a good choice and so are cucumbers. Pair your burger with some kombucha or a beer and enjoy!Yum