Every time I go to dinner and get thai food, I think to myself, I can’t like spring rolls any more than I already do. Then I get them and they taste even better than I could ever imagine. Even after I finish my entree, I dream about spring rolls.
The good thing is that they are super easy to make at home. I’ve gotten a lot better at making them, and these spring rolls are amazing! Spinach and avocado are a great combo and the cilantro gives the springs a traditional flavor, even though many traditional ingredients are omitted like carrots and sprouts.
I also love that you can add a protein or leave it out and these spring rolls will still taste great. I chose to leave out the protein and I actually prefer my spring rolls that way.
Here’s my recipe:
Spinach & Avocado Spring Rolls (Vegan)
Makes 4 spring rolls
- 4 Rice paper wrappers
- 1 oz. Rice noodles (You will have some left over!)
- 2 cups Spinach
- 1/2 Avocado, cubed.
- 8-12 sprigs of Cilantro
For the peanut sauce:
- 2 tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp soy sauce (I use gluten-free tamari)
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 – 1 tsp sesame oil
- a pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Cook the rice noodles according to the directions on the package.
2. Cut up the avocado into little cubes, and get your cilantro ready.
3. Get a large bowl and fill it with hot water. You will be dipping the rice paper wrappers in this bowl to soften them up.
4. Clear your surface and get ready to lay out the wrappers and roll up the spring rolls.
5. Dip a rice paper wrapper into the hot water for 10-15 seconds. Remove, and lay flat on the surface. Carefully remove any wrinkles.
6. In the center of the wrapper, add in some spinach, avocado, cilantro, and rice noodles. Then, roll up the spring rolls like a burrito. Roll them tightly!
7. Repeat steps 5 and 6 to make the rest of the spring rolls.
8. Time to make the peanut sauce. Whisk the peanut butter, soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, and cayenne pepper. Add water to thin out the sauce to your desired consistency. Add water little by little, and stir in between adding. A little water goes a long way!
That’s it! It’s an easy, fast, and healthy dinner, snack, or appetizer. You’ll be shocked at how fast these babies will fly off the plate.Yum