One of my favorite cafes in the East Bay serves some of the best paninis, sandwiches, appetizers/small plates, baked goods, and drinks you can get your hands on. In addition to their regular menu, which is available year-round, they have seasonal specials that include some of the best in-season produce you can get, like ripe yellow peaches, juicy heirloom tomatoes, annnnd you get the picture.
A seasonal special they had this summer was toast with ricotta cheese, strawberries, basil and honey. I was a little skeptical since the toast sounded sweet but ordered it one day along with my coffee.
I was HOOKED. I was taking bite after bite, savoring the flavor, wondering how just a few good ingredients could transform an average piece of bread into a satisfying small meal.
That’s when it dawned on me how simple it is and how if I weren’t so lazy all the damn time, I could easily recreate the same thing at home.
The lazy side of me thought, “Challenge accepted.”
Really guys, it’s so easy to make. I’m sure you guys can figure out how to make it just by looking at the photo, but here’s how to put together the homemade version of this toast in recipe format:
- 2 slices of bread of your choice (I am using ezekiel bread)
- 4 tbsp of ricotta cheese (don't use the fat-free kind here, folks)
- 3-4 strawberries, diced
- 1 tbsp of freshly chopped basil
- 1 tbsp of honey
- Toast the bread to your liking.
- Spread two tablespoons of ricotta cheese on each slice of toast.
- Sprinkle the strawberries and basil on the toast.
- Drizzle about one tablespoon of honey across both pieces of toast.
That’s it! You can easily put this together when you’re in dire need of a good, healthy snack that isn’t just avocado toast. Yum! I hope you enjoy the toast!Yum